1 a British abbreviation of `university'; usually refers to Oxford University or Cambridge University
2 a team representing a college or university [syn: first team]
EtymologyAlteration of university
- The main sports team at an educational institution; the senior
- The junior varsity is made up of players unable to make the cut for the main team.
- Of or pertaining to a varsity team.
- He played varsity football in college.
"Varsity" may refer to:
- Varsity team, the principal athletic teams representing a university or high or middle school
- Varsity match, a sports fixture played between traditional rival Universities, particularly Oxford and Cambridge.
- Varsity Blues, various varsity teams of the University of Toronto
As the name of student newspapers:
As a restaurant name:
In military history:
- Varsity, a pop group from Los Angeles.
Varsity may also refer to:
academe, academia, alma mater, cast, college, college of engineering, community college, company, complement, crew, degree-granting institution, eight, eleven, first string, first team, five, four-year college, graduate school, institute of technology, ivied halls, journalism school, junior college, law school, medical school, multiversity, nine, normal, normal school, platoon, postgraduate school, reserves, rowing crew, school of communications, school of education, second string, second team, squad, string, team, third string, two-year college, university, university college